Help with benefits, rents and other bills (Benefits advice)

Help with benefits, rents and other bills

It is important that you get all the benefits, tax credits and other financial help you are entitled to.

Council tax reduction

Check your eligibility and apply to get money off your council tax bill if you’re on a low income or claiming housing benefit or Universal Credit.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) provide claimants of housing benefit and Universal Credit housing costs with further financial assistance to help meet their housing costs. 

Education grants and benefits

Information and support including free school meals, school and college bus passes, student finance and the PDG Access Grant to help towards the cost of school uniform, sport and other equipment.

Making a claim for Housing Benefit

A new claim can be made for Pension age claimants or those in Supported Living accommodation/Sheltered Housing.

Housing grants and loans

Information on grant assistance available to help homeowners and, in some circumstances, tenants, repair, improve or adapt your home.

UK Government support for the cost of living: factsheet

Everything you need to know about the government’s cost of living support package to help with your energy and other household bills

Cost of Living Package Fact Sheet.

Universal Credit

Find out if you're eligible for Universal Credit, make an application and get advice on solving any problems you have.

Social Care benefits and grants

The UK Government provide a number of health and social care benefits to citizens who qualify for them including: -

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Disabled Facilities Grant
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit

Supporting People service

Supporting People can provide free advice to all people in relation to benefits, assistance to complete application forms and benefit checks to ensure entitlements are correct. Visit the Supporting People webpage for details. 

Further advice

Please see our benefits and grants for advice, guidance, and assistance with the full range of welfare benefits.

Rent, shopping, heating... it all adds up. Are you missing out on benefits? Advicelink Cymru can help you check and claim what’s yours. Call the free helpline: 0808 250 5700.

Depending on your situation, you can use the Turn2us or Entitledto benefit calculators to check which benefits you can get.

You’ll need information about savings, income, pension, childcare payments and any existing benefits (for you and your partner).

Age UK also includes an online calculator to help older people work out what benefits they are entitled to.

Use their free and simple online benefits calculator to find out if you're entitled to money you're not claiming yet. 

Contact us