Make a claim for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit

If you are out of work or on a low income and need help with your living costs you can apply for Universal Credit. 

Universal Credit was introduced in the Caerphilly county borough on 5 September 2018 and has replaced Housing Benefit for most people of working age .

The link below will direct you to the Universal Credit website and provide you with all the information you need including how to apply.

However, Housing Benefit can still be claimed if you meet any of the following conditions:

  • You and your partner are pension age
  • You're staying in a refuge, hostel or some types of supported or temporary housing

To claim Housing Benefit you need to complete an online application form. 

Claiming Council Tax Reduction

If you are claiming Housing Benefit you can continue to claim for a Council Tax Reduction as part of the same application. However, if you are claiming Universal Credit, you will need to apply for this separately. Visit our Council Tax Reduction section for further details.

How much will I get?

Whether you are claiming Universal Credit or Housing Benefit, the amount you can get is worked out by looking at:

  • how much money you have coming in
  • your personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay
  • the amount of savings you have

Try these benefits calculators to see what help you can get.

Have your circumstances changed?

If you are claiming either Universal Credit or Housing Benefit and your circumstances change, it’s important that you report these changes. If you don’t this could mean that either you are being paid too much or not enough. Visit our change of circumstances section for further details.

Claims for free school meals

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit or Housing Benefit, you may also be entitled to claim free school meals for any children you are responsible for. This could save you as much as £400 per year per child. Visit our free school meals section for further details.

Contact us