Trace your family tree
All our libraries can help you with local history enquiries, and all but the smallest have local history collections consisting of books, newspaper articles and photographs available for you to browse.
We hold local census returns for the years 1841-1901 and the Civil Registration Indexes for the years 1837-2002 - which include births, marriages and deaths. Other resources include local parish registers on microfiche, monumental inscriptions, tithe maps and historical Ordnance Survey maps. A number of pre-1950 local newspapers are also available on microfilm and these include the South Wales Echo and Merthyr Express.
Reference material and help with research
Bargoed Library is the main centre for tracing your family history. The library has a fully equipped learning area on the ground floor with staff on hand to help you identify your requirements.
The following facilities will be available to you:
- Microfilm and microfiche reader and printer
- Internet access – including access to Ancestry.com
- A selection of family history related books
- A selection of general and local history books
- Access to the catalogue and objects from the Museum's collection
- The Civil Registration Indexes (Births, Marriages and Deaths 1837-2006)
- Parish registers in booklet and microfiche form
- Trade Directories
- Electoral Register
- A selection of Newspapers that are frequently used including the Merthyr Express and the Bargoed, New Tredegar and Caerphilly Journal
We can help you with your research. Please contact Bargoed Library for more information.