Ffurflenni Ar-lein: Ni fydd ein ffurflenni ar-lein ar gael ddydd Sadwrn 2 Rhagfyr a dydd Sul 3 Rhagfyr, wrth i ni gynnal gwaith cynnal a chadw hanfodol. Ymddiheurwn am unrhyw anghyfleustra.

Online Forms: Our online forms will be unavailable Saturday 2 December and Sunday 3 December, whilst we carry out essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Listed buildings and listed building consent

This section covers:

  • What are the different grades of listing?
  • What are the criteria for the listing?
  • How to request a listing?
  • Interim protection
  • How is a building listed?
  • Listed building consent
  • Is my property listed?
  • How to apply for consent?

A 'listed building' is a building, object or structure that has been judged to be of national, historical or architectural interest.

There are currently 415 listed buildings in the county borough. Listing a building gives it legal protection, so that it can be preserved for future generations to enjoy.


Buildings are given a listing by Cadw to ensure that their special architectural or historic interest is fully recognised.

Listing a building gives it legal protection, so that it can be preserved for future generations to enjoy.

What are the different grades of listing?

Listed buildings are graded to show their relative importance:

  • Grade I buildings are those of exceptional interest
  • Grade II* are particularly important buildings of more than special interest
  • Grade II are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them

Regardless of their grade, all listed buildings are treated equally in the planning system

What are the criteria for listing?

Buildings are assessed against the following criteria:

  • architectural interest: buildings of importance because of their design, decoration and craftsmanship; also important examples of particular building types and techniques and building of significant plan forms;
  • historic interest: buildings which illustrate important aspects of the nation's social, economic, cultural or military history;
  • historic association: close historical association with nationally important people or events of importance in Wales;
  • group value: especially where buildings comprise an important architectural or historic group or fine example of planning such as squares, terraces or model villages.
  • age and rarity – all buildings built before 1700 that survive in anything like their original form are listed. Most buildings of about 1700 to 1840 are listed, though this will depend in part on how much of the original form and fabric survives. After about 1840, only buildings of definite quality and character are listed. Cadw do not take into account the condition or use of a building when considering it for listing.

How to request a listing?

Before submitting your request, it is a good idea to check whether the building is already listed. You can do this on Cof Cymru — National Historic Assets of Wales. 

It is also a good idea to speak first to this authority’s conservation and design officer before contacting Cadw.

Requests for listing should be sent to cadw@gov.wales explaining why the building should be added to the list. Details that need to accompany the email can be found in Cadw’s publication ‘Understanding Listing in Wales September 2018’ on page 19.   Cadw will assess the information to establish whether the building meets the national criteria for listing. If Cadw recommends it for listing, they will consult:

  • the building’s owner and occupier  
  • the relevant local planning authority 
  • any other person that they believe to have special knowledge of, or interest in, buildings of architectural or historic interest.

They will allow 28 days for the return of written responses. If the building is listed Cadw will inform the owner, occupier and the local planning authority. 

Interim protection 

From the beginning of the consultation period, the building will receive interim protection as if it is already listed. It will be an offence to damage it or carry out works that alter its character without listed building consent. 

Interim protection will last until a decision is made and Cadw will tell the owner, occupier and relevant local planning authority. They publish a list of buildings under interim protection on their website.  View Cadw website.

If the building is not listed, compensation for loss or damage caused by the interim protection may be payable. Written claims for compensation to Cadw must be made within six months from the date that interim protection ceased.

Details of ‘How to Request a Review of a Decision to List’ or ‘How to Request a Delisting or an Amendment to a Listing’ can also be found in the published document ‘Understanding Listing in Wales, September 2018.’

In considering whether to list a building, the Welsh Ministers are advised by the Inspectorate of Historical Buildings within Cadw, which makes assessments in the light of these principles. Local authorities and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales (RCAHMW) are also consulted.

How is a building listed?

A national survey to identify buildings for listing and to update existing lists was completed by Cadw in December 2005. As a result, approximately 30,000 buildings were listed in Wales. 

Buildings can still be added to the list and you can make requests to Cadw for individual buildings to be listed. (See above section ‘How to Request a Listing’). You can also apply to the Planning Inspectorate for a review of the listing decision within 12 weeks of that decision on the grounds that the building is not of special architectural or historic interest. 

It is also possible to request from Cadw a delisting or an amendment to a listing. (See WG/Cadw’s ‘Understanding Listing in Wales September 2018’ for further details.)

Listed building consent

If your house is a listed building, in addition to planning permission and building regulation approval, you will need to apply for listed building consent.  

Listed building consent is needed to alter, extend or to totally or partially demolish a listed building and/or other objects or structures and buildings within the grounds of a listed building that were built before 1 July 1948. It also includes works to the interior of a building.

Listed building consent is for example, needed to:

  • replace doors and windows
  • re-roof a building
  • replace chimney pots
  • replace rainwater goods (e.g. guttering and pipework)
  • re-point the whole building
  • render or re-render 
  • paint or re-paint render, stone, brickwork and external joinery
  • carry out internal structural works including removing walls and partitions, make new doorways, or block up (or un-block)  doors/windows
  • carry out any works to staircases, fireplaces, chimney breasts or other structural/decorative elements

This is not a definitive list and if you are unsure whether or not consent will be needed for what you have planned you can contact our Conservation and Design Officer on 01443 866766.

If you wish to have some pre-application advice for Listed Building Consent then please visit our Pre-planning application guidance under the section additional services for Conservation

It is a criminal offence to carry out works to listed buildings without consent even if you did not know that the building was listed. Carrying out unauthorised work is punishable by a fine or a prison sentence and we can require you to restore the building back to the way it was.

Is my property a listed building? 

You can check if your property is listed by viewing listed buildings in Caerphilly County Borough (PDF)

Applying for consent

When the planning authority is considering your application, it must give particular attention to the desirability of preserving the building, its setting and those features which make it special.  These are things that you should think about when you are planning your proposed changes.

There is no fee for making a listed building consent application and the application process takes between 8 to 14 weeks (the latter includes the 28 day consultation with Cadw if the Council is mindful to approve the application).

It is important that all the forms are sent with the correct documents.  The information is necessary to make a timely and informed decision.  You can check out what is required by viewing validation requirements  

We encourage you to submit your application online via planning application Wales.


If you would prefer you can also download an application form and send it to us by post at Planning Division, Penallta House, Tredomen Park, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed CF82 7PG

Find and download paper forms

Heritage impact assessment

As from the 1 September 2017, a heritage impact statement will be required to support any application for listed building or conservation area consent. The heritage impact statement replaces the design and access statement in the application process for listed building consent.

Guidance on preparing a heritage impact statement is contained in WG/Cadw’s Heritage Impact Assessment in Wales.

Contact us

Elsewhere on the web

Cadw | HistoricWales