Cashless and online payment for school meals
Depending on what secondary school your child attends, we offer different options to pay for school meals.
Biometrics systems and cashless card systems
The following schools operate a biometrics and cashless card payment system:
- Bedwas High
- Blackwood Comprehensive
- Heolddu Comprehensive
- Lewis Girls Comprehensive
- Pontllanfraith Comprehensive
- Rhymney Comprehensive
- Risca Comprehensive
- St Cenydd Comprehensive School
- Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni (Y Gwindy site)
Some of these schools are also able to take payments for school meals online and further details are available in thw document below.
Cashless cards continue to work alongside the biometric system, this allows for a mixture of cards and biometrics to be used.
Biometric systems uses finger-scanning technology. When finger scanning is used, it measures a number of reference points and turns this information into a digital signature. This unique digital signature is stored on the catering system and the image of the fingerprint is then destroyed.
This system allows your child to put money on to their account via a cash revaluation terminal located in the school (or in certain secondary schools payments for school meals can be made online) and is then used to pay for food and drink in the canteen.
Information leaflet - Cashless and online payment for school meals (PDF)
Free school meals on cashless card and biometric payment systems
Both cashless card and biometrics system works the same for all children whether they pay or have a free school meal. The amount allocated for the free school meal will be automatically added onto the system.
Benefits of cashless card and biometric payment systems
- The removal of cash exchanges at lunchtime improves the speed of service for your child
- Your child's meal detail is recorded each day, which means you can keep track of what your child eats
- Discourages the misuse of school dinner money through spending in shops outside of the school grounds
- Account statements are generated each half term, on request, or weekly if on email thereby parents can keep track of the money being spent and the account balance
- For children with free meal entitlement the value is entered automatically onto the system, making it the same for everyone
My school is not shown above
For all other secondary schools in Caerphilly not listed above please contact the school directly for further information on school meals.