Apply for free school meals

Who can claim?

You can claim free school meals for your school-aged child if you live in the Caerphilly county borough and receive any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190. (HM Revenue and Customs are responsible for assessing the level of annual income.)
  • Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
  • Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
  • Universal Credit

You can learn more about free school meals on the Welsh Assembly website.

Nursery – aged children

Nursery aged children who attend before and after lunch sessions at a local authority nursery school or nursery class may be eligible for free school meals. Please see ‘How to Claim’ section below.

How to claim

The quickest and easiest way is to apply online.

You can also apply by post using a printable application form. These forms are available from your school.

You will be notified in writing of the outcome of your claim within 10 working days.

If you are eligible for free school meals, the school will be notified that your child can have free school meals. Schools will ensure that this information is treated with the strictest confidence and handled sensitively.

What if my circumstances change?

You must tell us if:

  • You start work and come off benefits
  • Your benefit changes

If you do not tell us of any changes to your benefit this may mean you have to pay for any meals provided whilst you were not eligible.

You must complete a new application form if:

  • You change address
  • You have another child starting school for the first time

Do I need to re-apply every year?

If you are already claiming free school meals for your child you do not need to re-apply every year.

Even if your child moves to another school in the borough, the new school will be advised of your entitlement as soon as admission to the new school has been accepted.

Pupil Development Grant (PDG) Access

The Welsh Government have recently introduced a new grant 'Pupil Development Grant (PDG) Access' to buy school uniform, equipment, sports kit amd kit for activities outside of school for your child and is available to pupils claiming free school meals and are entering reception class in primary school, entering year 7 in secondary school or aged 4 or 11 in special schools, special needs resource bases or pupil referral units.

Visit the â€‹Pupil Development Grant (PDG) Access webpage for details.
Contact us