Wheelchair accessible vehicles
A requirement to maintain a designated list of wheelchair accessible vehicles as implemented by the Equality Act 2010 was approved by the Taxi and General Licensing Committee of the Council.
Publishing of a designated list places obligations on drivers of wheelchair accessible vehicles: -
- To carry the passenger whilst in the wheelchair
- Not make any additional charge for doing so
- If the passenger chooses to sit in a passenger seat to carry the wheelchair
- To take such steps as are necessary to ensure that the passenger is carried in safety and reasonable comfort; and
- To give the passenger such mobility assistance as is reasonably required.
Mobility assistance is defined as follows: -
- To enable the passenger to get into or out of the vehicle
- If the passenger wishes to remain in the wheelchair, to enable the passenger to get into or out of the vehicle while in the wheelchair
- To load the passenger’s luggage into or out of the vehicle
- If the passenger does not wish to remain in the wheelchair, to load the wheelchair into or out of the vehicle.
When booking a wheelchair accessible taxi the public are advised to check with the operator that the vehicle can accommodate the particular type of wheelchair it is being booked to convey..