Salaries, expenses and allowances
The council publishes all salaries (formerly known as allowances), travel, subsistence and care allowances paid to councillors and co-opted members no later than 31 July each year.
The Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales requires councils to publish the scope and amounts of salaries and allowances paid to councillors and co-opted members each year.
Schedule of renumeration - Councillor salaries, allowances and expenses 2020 - 2021 (PDF)
The rates of travel allowances for 2019/20 are: -
- Motor vehicles up to 10,000 miles – 45p per mile
- Motor vehicles over 10,000 miles – 25p per mile
- Passenger supplement – 5p per passenger per mile
- Pedal cycles – 20p per mile
- Private motor cycles - 24p per mile
Councillors and co-opted members can also claim for bus, train and taxi fares. Only actual costs can be claimed when supported by a receipt.
Councillors and Co-opted Members can claim travel expenses for 'approved duties' defined as: -
- attendance at a meeting of the authority or of any committee of the authority or of any body to which the authority makes appointments or nominations or of any committee of such a body;
- attendance at a meeting of any association of authorities of which the authority is a member;
- attendance at any other meeting the holding of which is authorised by the authority or by a committee of the authority or by a joint committee of the authority and one or more other authorities;
- a duty undertaken for the purpose of or in connection with the discharge of the functions of an executive where the authority is operating executive arrangements within the meaning of Part II of the Local Government Act 2000;
- a duty undertaken in pursuance of a standing order which requires a member or members to be present when tender documents are opened;
- a duty undertaken in connection with the discharge of any function of the authority which empowers or requires the authority to inspect or authorise the inspection of premises;
- attendance at any training or developmental event approved by the authority or its executive or board; and
- any other duty approved by the authority, or any other duty of a class so approved, undertaken for the purpose of, or in connection with, the discharge of the functions of the authority or of any of its committees.Travel claims cannot be made for undertaking constituency business.
Subsistence allowances are available for undertaking official duties away from home.
The maximum subsistence allowance is £28 per day (including breakfast when not provided as part of overnight accommodation).
The allowances available for an overnight stay whilst undertaking an approved duty are set at £200 for London and £95 elsewhere with receipts to be provided. A maximum of £30 is available for an overnight stay with friends or relatives whilst on approved duty.
Claims for subsistence and an overnight stay can only be made for actual costs with receipts provided. Claims for subsistence cannot be made when undertaken duties within the county borough.
Members and co-opted members are entitled to claim a care allowance whilst they are engaged on council business, and when costs are incurred in providing care to children under the age of 15. In addition, claims for the care allowance can be made in respect of children over the age of 15 or dependants if the council is satisfied that supervision is necessary.
A maximum of £403 can be claimed each month. Only actual costs can be claimed when supported by a receipt. The care allowance shall only be payable for actual and receipted costs.
Previous year’s salaries, allowances and expenses