Private landlords

Letting your home

The following leaflets provide information for landlords or prospective landlords who would like information on the duties of a landlord, the types of tenancies and how to properly give notice to a tenant in your property.

Letting your home (PDF 178kb)

Assured and assured shorthold tenancies: A guide for landlords (PDF 647kb)

Thinking of renting out your home? (PDF 401kb)

Landlord registration and licensing

Landlords and agents are now required by law to be registered or licensed. A new law has been introduced in Wales which applies to all landlords and agents of private residential property. 

Visit our Landlord registration and licensing webpage for further information.

Cartrefi Hafod Lettings Agency

Cartrefi Hafod Lettings Agency is a service with Hafod Housing Association with over 40 year experience of property and tenancy management. They now offer free services to private landlords in the Caerphilly county borough.

Cartrefi Hafod Lettings Agency Leasing and Lettings (PDF)

Further information is also available on the Cartrefi Hafod website.

Homes in multiple occupation

A number of privately rented homes within the county borough are Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).Visit the multiple occupation home licence section for details about licences, fire safety and HMO management.

Housing health and safety

The following guidance produced by the Department for Communities and Local Government is for landlords and property related professionals. 

We check the condition of properties using a risk assessment approach called the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS). This HHSRS does not set out minimum standards. It is concerned with avoiding or, at the very least, minimising potential hazards. This means that landlords should also review conditions regularly to try to see where and how their properties can be improved and made safer.

Housing Health and Safety Rating System - Guidance for Landlords and Property Related Professional (PDF 2.1mb)


As the landlord, you have certain responsibilities regarding repairs and we can take action if repairs are not done. Visit the private housing repair section for details.

Receiving your rent payments through Smart Money Cymru

If your tenant is in receipt of Local Housing Allowance they now have the option of paying their rent directly to you through the Smart Money Credit Union.

Both you and your tenant need to complete the registration form below and then you need to return the completed form to the Smart Money Credit Union office at the address shown on the form.

Smart Money Cymru (PDF 183kb)

Landlord Registration Form (PDF 108kb)

Further information

Advice for landlord is available on the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) website and the National Landlords Association website. You can also contact our private sector housing team.

Contact us