Planning an event
Update on latest Coronavirus (Covid-19) guidance
The Caerphilly Event Safety Advisory Group will follow Covid-19 regulations and guidance issued by the Welsh Government to advise on events.
Therefore, as Alert Levels change and the easing of restrictions continue over the coming months, Caerphilly ESAG will only support an event which strictly adheres to the guidance at the time of the event.
Prior to completing the Event Notification Form and developing your risk assessments, please take note of the latest information about the Covid-19 regulations and guidance which may be found at: https://gov.wales/topic/980/latest
Guidance for event organisers of regulated gatherings during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic: https://gov.wales/creating-covid-aware-events
It is recommended this webpage is checked regularly as the Covid-19 regulations and guidance are subject to frequent change. It is advisable to only submit an application if your proposed event complies with the latest Regulations.
If you choose to organise an event, please note that advice and arrangements may be subject to change depending on the prevailing incidence levels of Covid-19 and changes to Welsh Government guidance and regulations. Therefore, all risks will be held by the event organiser. Caerphilly County Borough Council cannot take responsibility for any cost or loss involved with the preparation of an event should it be cancelled.
When you decide to run a small or community event, you need to think about who will be attending, the facilities they will need, what kind of activities you will have and any safety requirements.
Caerphilly ESAG (Event Safety Advisory Group) can provide advice and practical assistance to event organisers who are organising an event for the first time as well as experienced event professionals who are new to the county borough.
Event Safety Advisory Group (ESAG)
The Caerphilly County Borough Council Event Safety Advisory Group (ESAG) has been set up in order to help people plan and organise successful, safe events for the public within Caerphilly County Borough.
We offer guidance to event organisers on best practice to ensure the event is safe and meets all legislative, legal and operational requirements.
There is no charge for our advice and guidance at the planning stage. However, some services levy charges for attendance at the actual event.
Who can help me and provide advice?
Caerphilly County Borough Council co-operate with the Police, Fire and Rescue, Ambulance and other relevant groups to offer advice and provide assistance to anyone planning an event.
The Event Safety Advisory Group can offer guidance on: -
- How you get started
- What you need to do
- Who to contact for specialist guidance
The main information we need from you is as follows: -
- What type of event are you planning
- Where it will take place
- When it will take place, date and time
- Who will be attending
- What numbers will be attending
- What facilities you need for your visitors. This includes toilets, first aid, drinking water and refreshments.
- Is your event for specific groups, such as children, teenagers, older people or people with disabilities?
- Do you need any specific facilities for these groups?
- What do you need to do to manage crowds safely?
- Is the proposed site the appropriate size for your attendance numbers
- Other information may also be requested, depending on the type of event you are planning
The earlier you can provide this information the better placed the ESAG will be to help you.
To enable event organisers to meet their responsibilities, there is no charge for this guidance at the planning stage. However, some services levy charges for attendance at the actual event.
Issues you need to consider
- Operational plan which will include a site plan and risk assessment
- Emergency plan, health and safety, legislation and litigation
- Road closures, signage, special effects, etc.
- Fire safety, stewarding, medical provision, toliets
- Disabled access, temporary structures
- Emergency vehicle access, car parking
- Sound / PA Systems, food and drink
- Waste disposal
- Public liability insurance
- Premises licence or a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)
- Others as necessary (depending on type of event)
Event Safety Advisory Group members
- Caerphilly County Borough Council (all relevant Departments)
- Heddlu Gwent Police
- South Wales Fire Service and Rescue Service
- Welsh Ambulance Service Trust (WAST)
- Other organisations as required
Safety Advisory Group meetings
Meetings are held on a regular basis, but special meetings may be held to discuss large events.
How much notice do the Event Safety Advisory Group need?
The more notice we receive, the more time organisers have to plan effectively, especially if the event is large scale or requires licences and/or road closures.
It normally takes 6 months to organise a small event and up to 12 months for a larger event.
Tell us about your event
You can tell us about an event you are planning by completing our online form. A PDF version of the form is also available that can be returned by post.
Complete an event notification online>
Please note, this form will not work from within Internet Explorer. Please use a more modern browser such as Edge, Chrome or Safari
This link will direct you to Caerphilly Connect. Register now or log in to report, apply and pay for services. If you do not wish to create an account click 'Continue without registering'. Please check your spam/junk mail folder for account activation and notification emails that we send you!
If you have created an account, your form will save automatically as you progress through each section. You can then access any part completed forms by logging into your Caerphilly Connect account. https://caerphilly.mycouncilservices.com.
Events notification form (PDF)
Special event (road closure) application form (PDF)
Promote a forthcoming event
If you have organised an event and would like it to appear on this website, the earlier you provide us with the details the better. Notifying us early means your event will be promoted more effectively.
Tell us about your event