Personal licence

Personal licence holders may authorise the sale of alcohol at premises licensed for that purpose and may also be employed as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) at such premises. You should apply for a personal licence to the Council in whose area you ordinarily live.

Personal licences will remain in force, unless forfeited, suspended, revoked or surrendered. A personal licence holder can also serve up to a maximum of 50 temporary event notices in a year.

You will need a personal licence if:

  • you are designated as the premises supervisor on a premises licence for a premises where alcohol is to be sold;
  • you want to sell alcohol under a premises licence or authorise others to sell alcohol under a premises licence;
  • you want to use more than five temporary event notices (TENs) in a calendar year.

To qualify you must:

  • be aged 18 or over;
  • have an accredited licensing qualification (the Home Office website has a list of Accredited Personal Licence Qualification Providers);
  • have not forfeited a personal licence within the preceding five years;
  • have no unspent conviction(s) for a `relevant' offence, 'immigration' offence, `foreign´ offence or an immigration penalty (see Guidance notes for details). If an applicant has an unspent conviction, the Police will be notified and they will consider whether the offences will undermine the Crime Prevention Objective and issue an objection notice to the authority within 14 days if it is felt it does. The licensing authority must then hold a hearing to decide whether to grant the licence;
  • have a criminal conviction certificate available from the Disclosure and Barring Service, or Police National Computer (PNC) check issued by the National Identification Service.
  • be entitled to work in the UK and not subject to a condition preventing you from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Immigration Act 2016 requirements

Licensing authorities are now under a duty to undertake immigration checks on all applicants for personal licences.  Applicants are, therefore, required to produce copies of prescribed document to prove their immigration and right to work status.  Details of acceptable documents are listed in the notes section of the application form.

Whilst licensing authorities are able to grant licences to persons who are subject to immigration control and only have limited time to remain in the UK, their licence will be invalid when their permission to be in the UK comes to an end.  An application made by someone who is disqualified by reason of their immigration status, is invalid and must be rejected.

Change of name or address

If you are currently a personal licence holder and have changed your name or address, you must inform us. You will need to return your existing licence and badge and an amended licence will be issued to you. There is a fee for this.


Click here for a full list of licence fees

How to apply

Guidance notes for applicants (PDF)

Completed forms should be hand delivered or posted to the Licensing Authority, Caerphilly County Borough Council, Penallta House, Tredomen Park, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed. CF82 7PG.

Please contact us if you require a paper copy of the form.

We must determine the application within three months.

Visiting our offices

The licensing section operate an appointment only system when visiting their offices. If you wish to make an appointment or have any queries regarding the application process please contact us.

Please note: This Authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide on your application form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. Please use this link for more information on the National Fraud Initiative.
Contact us