Private hire operator licence

A private hire operator is licensed to accept or invite the bookings for private hire vehicles. To be a self employed private hire driver, you must obtain a private hire operator's licence from the licensing authority, in addition to your private hire driver and private hire vehicle licences.

Alternatively, drivers can work for another private hire operator. Some operators have their own licensed fleet of vehicles that the drivers use, while others employ drivers with their own vehicles. Either way, each vehicle must also have its own private hire vehicle licence, and each driver must have his own private hire/hackney carriage driver licence.

Before an operator's licence can be issued, the council will need to be satisfied that the applicant is a fit and proper person, so we will take into account an applicant’s criminal history when considering their application. You will therefore be required to provide a basic disclosure certificate from Disclosure Scotland. If you are a current licensed taxi driver with the Council you will not be required to provide a basic disclosure, as the Council will consider any details supplied on your enhanced disclosure certificate provided by you previously. You must also consult with our planning department as to the intended change of use of that property and include the planning permission documentation or written evidence that planning is not required with your application. If appropriate, you will also be required to provide evidence of landlord’s consent.

Conditions of application

Licence conditions are explained in our application pack below.

Immigration Act 2016 requirements

Licensing authorities are now under a duty to undertake immigration checks on all applicants for hackney carriage and private hire vehicle drivers and private hire vehicle operators

In addition to relevant checks to establish whether a person is a’ fit and proper’ person, local authorities are not able to grant a driver or operator’s licence unless they are satisfied an applicant has the right to remain and work in the United Kingdom.

Whilst local authorities are able to grant such licences to persons who are subject to immigration control and only have a limited time to remain in the UK, they can only be granted for a specified period and that period must end at or before the period of permission to remain. Licences will automatically lapse where the immigration status changes and the licence holder becomes ineligible to lawfully reside and work in the UK. Any person who does not return their licence will be committing an offence

Any applicant for a driver or operator’s licence will be required to produce original copies of prescribed documents to prove their immigration and right to work status.  The Council will be required to keep copies of the original documents they have seen and may check an applicant’s immigration status and share information with the Home Office.

Statutory Guidance to Licensing Authorities’ 


Click here for a full list of licence fees

How to apply

To apply download the application form.

Application pack for (or renewal of) a private hire vehicle operator licence (PDF 109kb)

If you submit your application by post or in person, completed forms should be delivered/posted to the Licensing Authority, Caerphilly County Borough Council, Penallta House, Tredomen Park, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed. CF82 7PG.

Make an appointment

To avoid delaying your application please ensure you can provide all of the identity documents required for the licence application. Details are within the application pack. 

We operate an appointment only system so please make sure you contact us before arriving at our offices. Since we must see all original documentation, we are unable to accept applications by email/fax.

Following receipt of a satisfactory basic disclosure certificate from Disclosure Scotland, where appropriate your licence will be issued to you. The process can take around 2-8 weeks.


Licences are issued for a period of up to 5 years and must be renewed if you wish to continue to operate private hire vehicles.

Renewal forms will be sent to you in the post several weeks before your current licence is due to expire.

You will need to complete the application form above and enclose evidence of basic disclosure certificate from Disclosure Scotland which you should apply for as soon as possible after receiving your reminder. Planning permission documentation and/ or landlords consent does not need to be supplied again. 

National Fraud Initiative: This Authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide on your application form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. Please use this link for more information on the National Fraud Initiative.
Contact us

Related Pages

Taxi licence policies