Tell us once

Tell us once

When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these is contacting government departments and local council services that need to be told.

'Tell Us Once' is a service where we help you give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), they then pass it on to several other government departments and local authority services.

How to access the service

Before you can use the Tell Us Once service you must first register the death.

Once you have registered the death you can access the Tell Us Once service in one of three ways:

  • In person at the register office - You need to register the death before you can use the service. The Tell Us Once service will be offered to you during the same appointment. To make an appointment contact us.
  • Online via Tell Us Once - You can also access the Tell Us Once service online. Once you have registered the death, the Registrar will give you a unique Tell Us Once reference number, which you will need to log in
  • By telephone with the DWP - You can use the Tell Us Once service at any time after you have registered the death. The Registrar will give you the telephone number after you have registered the death. If you don't speak English an adviser and an interpreter will call you back and help you. If you are calling from Wales you will have the choice of continuing the call in Welsh.

Who can be notified with this service?

Tell Us Once will help bereaved families to notify the following government departments and organisations when someone dies:

Council services

  • Council tax
  • Adult social services
  • Blue badges (Disabled person’s car badge)
  • Children social services
  • Electoral register
  • Housing benefit and council tax reduction
  • Collection of payments for council services
  • Council housing
  • Libraries and leisure
  • Concessionary Travel Pass

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • State Pension
  • Job Centre Plus
  • Overseas Health Team

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Personal taxation

His Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO)

  • Passport

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

  • Driving licence
  • Vehicle registration/ownership

If you use the service in person at the register office, the registrar may also be able to help you find other information and organisations that can help you and, if necessary, inform other council departments that are not listed above.

Information you will need available

To make sure the right information is given to any organisations we contact for you and so that you get the most out of the service, it will help if you have the following information to hand about the person who has died:

  • National Insurance number of the deceased (and any surviving, husband, wife or civil partner to whom they are still married or in a civil partnership with)
  • Date of birth
  • Town/country of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Driving licence or driving licence number
  • Vehicle registration number of any vehicles registered in the deceased’s name
  • Passport or passport number
  • Blue badge

You may also be asked for details of the:

  • Next of kin
  • Surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • Person dealing with their estate

Please note: You must obtain the permission of the persons listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

Further information

If you would like any further information about the service please contact the register office.

Contact us