Council tax reduction

You can apply to us to get money off your council tax bill if you’re on a low income or claiming housing benefit or Universal Credit.

What you'll get

You can get up to 100% reduction, depending on:

  • your circumstances (for example, income, number of children)
  • your household income - this includes things like savings, pension, your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

How do I claim?

If you wish to make a new claim for a Council Tax Reduction you need to fill in an online application form. 

If you are already claiming Council Tax Reduction and wish to tell us about a change to your claim, you will need to complete a change of circumstances form.

To make a new claim for a Council Tax Reduction you need to fill in an application form.

Make a claim for council tax reduction

If my claim is refused

If you are not happy with our decision about your Council Tax Reduction you must email the Benefit Section on, within one calendar month of the date of your letter stating why you think it is wrong.

We will look at your claim again and write to you with our decision. If we don’t respond to you within 2 months or if you are still aggrieved by the decision you may appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service for Wales (Valuation Tribunal 22 Gold Tops, Newport NP12 4PG).

Change in circumstances

If you are claiming Council Tax Reduction you must tell us about changes that might affect your benefit/reduction straight away. The decision to award you a reduction is based on your circumstances at the time the claim is made.

Failure to report these changes to us could mean that we are giving you too much reduction, which you will need to pay back.

Report a change in your circumstances

Claims for free school meals

If you are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction, you may also be entitled to claim free school meals for any children you are responsible for. This could save you as much as £400 per year per child. Visit our free school meals webpage for details.