Reporting anti-social and nuisance behaviour

If you feel that someone is causing you a problem and you want help please contact us for advice and, if necessary, to formally report the complaint.

You can report complaints of anti-social and nuisance behaviour using our online form.

Report council housing anti-social behaviour >

This link will direct you to Caerphilly Connect. Register now or log in to report, apply and pay for services. If you do not wish to create an account click 'Continue without registering'. Please check your spam/junk mail folder for account activation and notification emails that we send you!

You can also visit a customer services centre.

What is nuisance and anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour is behaviour that prevents others from enjoying an acceptable quality of life. Some examples of nuisance and anti-social behaviour are:

  • Drunk and disorderly behaviour
  • Having noisy parties
  • Playing music too loudly
  • Violence or threats of violence
  • Harassment of someone or a group of people
  • Vandalism of property belonging to others
  • Domestic abuse

What can we do to help?

There are many queries and misunderstanding about what actions we can and cannot take to help to resolve anti-social and nuisance problems.

Action that can be taken

  • Visiting and/or writing to the person to make them aware they are causing a problem
  • Providing support to help stop the problem
  • Make a referral to a mediation service (both sides need to agree to this)
  • Make a referral to a support service (this can be for either person)
  • Issue a last warning letter to the person causing the problem
  • Taking out an injunction against the person causing the problem
  • Make an application to the County Court for possession of their home 

Action that cannot be taken

  • We cannot take actions without the full cooperation and support of the complainant
  • Mediation services will not be considered unless both sides are willing and want to resolve the problem
  • Action cannot be taken if the problem is not serious enough, or if the law had not been broken, or there is not enough evidence
  • Contract holders who are in breach of their Occupation Contract cannot be evicted if there is not enough evidence available to take legal action
  • Contract holders cannot be evicted without going to Court and getting a court order 

What can you do?

Most people try their best to get on with each other but sometimes problems arise. If this happens there are a few simple things you can do to help sort out problems of anti-social and nuisance behaviour.


  • Try to sort things out yourself first
  • Remain calm at all times
  • Work out what you want to say before you approach them
  • Approach the person when you know they will have time to talk to you (not when they are on their way to work or taking children to school)
  • Speak to them face to face when they are on their own
  • Speak to them quietly and politely
  • Listen to their side of the story
  • Be prepared to compromise
  • Leave straight away if people are aggressive or threatening when you approach them – if this happens you will probably need to consider help to sort out the problem


  • Speak to the person if you are angry or annoyed
  • Speak to the person if they are angry or annoyed
  • Dismiss their explanation for the problem
  • Swear or shout at the person
  • Lose your temper, become aggressive, use confrontational body language or discriminatory language 

If you feel that speaking to the person hasn’t improved the situation or you are not happy to do this, them it may be time to ask for help.

Useful contacts