Debt and budgeting

Supporting People service

Supporting People are able to support all individuals over 16 with debt or budgeting concerns. Visit the Supporting People webpage for details. 

Debt support 

  • Citizens Advice Bureau - helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice.
  • National Debt Line - provides free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems.
  • Step Change Debt Charity - A registered charity offering free debt help to anyone in the UK who needs it.
  • The Money Advice Service - Information for both the employed and self-employed people.  You can use the link called ‘find out what you’re entitled to’ and enter your own circumstances to get advice relevant to your circumstances.


There is plenty of free help and advice available to help you manage your money effectively, the links below are just a few that you may find helpful:

CAB Advice Line  03444 77 20 20

Support for council tenants

If you have difficulty paying your rent and other bills and don't take action to deal with your financial difficulties, your debts will mount up and you may be at risk of losing your home, having important services cut off, losing your possessions or even going to prison.

We are here to help council tenants who are having problems in meeting their rent payments due to other financial commitments. We can arrange a FREE confidential session with an independent debt and money advisor for anyone in rent arrears or likely to get into arrears.
To arrange an appointment, contact the rents section or text RENTHELP to 81400 and a member of staff will call you back.