Apply for building regulation approval

To apply for building regulations approval you will need to complete an application form and pay a fee. The fee depends on the type of application submitted, and the type and cost of the work.

The law requires that this should be made no later than two working days before work starts on site; however we advise you to apply early so that we have more time forewarn you of any potential difficulties.

Apply online

You can submit an application electronically via the Planning Portal. This service is free and available 24 hours a day.

You can also submit your application by email to

You can also submit any other application enquiry through or

Alternatively, downloadable application forms and fees are available below.

Privacy notice – Building Regulations Application processing (PDF)

Downloadable forms

Building Regulation form (PDF) - download, fill in and return via email 

Building Regulation form (PDF) - download, print and return to the address on the form.

Replacement of roof lights, windows and external doors application form (PDF 33kb) - download, fill in and return by email to or to the address on the form.

Completed forms should be sent (with payment and required documentation) to Building Control

Fees and charges from 1 December 2019

Table A and A1 - Charges for small domestic buildings and conversions to dwellings (PDF 209kb)

Table B - Domestic extensions to a single building (PDF 26kb)

Table C – Charges for certain domestic alterations to a single building (PDF 22kb)

Table D – Charges for other non-domestic works – extensions and new build (PDF 47kb)

Table E – Charges for all other non-domestic work – alterations (PDF 34kb)

Table F – Work other than work to which tables A, A1, B, C, D and E apply (PDF 34kb)

Are you building sustainable drainage (SuDs)?

From 7 January 2019, all new developments of more than one house or where the construction area is of 100m2 or more will require sustainable drainage to manage on-site surface water. 

SAB approval is different and separate to planning permission and both must be sought before any construction can begin.

Visit our SAB pages to find out more

Contact us