Music exams

If you've been learning music for a while, your teacher may recommend that you take an exam. Graded Music Examinations are an important part of music education and development, and are recognised as part of the National Qualifications Framework. Exams from Grade 5 and above carry UCAS points, which will contribute to University entrance accreditation. 

The Caerphilly Music Service holds two local exam sessions each year usually in May and December. The fees for taking exams are set by the exam boards - The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM), Trinity Guildhall and Rockschool.

When you pass an exam you are awarded a certificate.

If you are learning to play a musical instrument and would like to take a music exam you should first discuss this with your music teacher, who will give you more information about costs, when and where the exams will take place and to whom the application and payment should be made.

You or your parents can also contact the Caerphilly Music Service for more details.

Contact us