Help with sight difficulties

A sight difficulty is when you have a partial or total loss of sight that cannot be corrected by wearing glasses.

The service you will have is provided by Rehabilitation Officers for Visual Impairment (ROVI).

ROVI’s are specialists in sight difficulties. They will talk to you about your sight loss and any problems you might be having and will give you a special assessment.

The service aims to give you the right information and skills so you can have more independence in your home and community.

The service includes:

  • registration for blind / visual impairment
  • consideration of a persons eye condition and how it affects every day life
  • re-learning skills in daily living like preparing meals
  • indoor and outdoor mobility training
  • communication skills training
  • advice on services available from health, social services and other agencies
  • advice on low vision aids, lighting and colour contrast
  • advice about special equipment and access to other services like guide dogs and talking books
  • referral to Supporting People and housing related support services 

How can you become registered?

If you have permanent or partial loss of sight, contact your local optician and ask to be referred to the eye clinic at your local hospital. They will tell you if you can be registered as partially sighted or blind.

You will then be referred to the councils Sensory Team who will tell you about the registration process and the benefits of being registered.

Losing your sight and your hearing?

Please visit our Combined Hearing and Sight Difficulties page

For further information or to make a referral, please contact the Information, Advice and Assistance (IAA) Team

You may also find the following services useful:

Welsh Low Vision Scheme

Has your eyesight started to worsen? Do you find your glasses don’t help as much as they used to?

You may benefit from The National Assembly Government funded, Welsh Low Vision Service.

Accredited optometrists located across Wales will undertake an assessment to determine if any low vision aids are available to help a person with low vision to do the things they want. The appointment with the low vision practitioner is provided free of charge by the NHS and all the low vision aids are available on loan, and free of charge. The practitioner will also use their specialist knowledge to refer you to other services in your area. Visual impairment services in Caerphilly County Borough Council work in partnership with this service.

To find out who to refer to, search the low vision services in your area.

The assessing optician will be able to make a referral to the consultant ophthalmologist at the eye clinic in your local hospital, should you require it.

Contact us