Supporting People - support with housing, homelessness, debt, benefits, arrears and employment

The vision is “A Wales where nobody is homeless and everyone has a safe home where they can flourish and live a fulfilled, active and independent life”.  

If you live in the Caerphilly county borough area, are over 16 years of age and struggling to keep your home, at risk of losing your job, need to move or need help with your finances or any type of debt, the Supporting People Team could offer you support. Whether you’re a home owner, contract holder (council, housing association or private), sleeping rough, or sofa surfing the Supporting People Team are here to help.

Anything that could result in you losing your home we can help you such as:

  • Help to set up and maintain a home – such as finding best value utilities and setting up direct debit accounts with energy suppliers, registering people with health services, such as GP and dentists.

  • Help to prevent evictions, rent arrears, bedroom tax/council tax arrears, TV licence fines – arranging repayment plans for debts and searching Turn to Us website for grants.

  • Help to access services, support and social networks – onward referrals / travel training to attend groups

  • Help to access education, volunteering, training and employment opportunities – referrals and access to return to work programmes, discussions with job coaches regarding barriers to work (e.g. work boots/clothes) and getting funding to cover this

  • Help to claim benefits, maximise income, benefit appeals and grant applications – Turn to Us website for benefit check and completing benefit forms.

  • Help with budgeting, managing money and debt management – income and expenditure check and budgeting, searching for cheaper alternatives for things such as utilities and repayment plans.

  • Help to read letters and form filling – long term letter reading e.g. Mencap services where no family are present / benefit forms application

  • Help to increase independence – encouraging various things relating to social life, such as cooking independently or going out independently including travel training. Support to understand your Occupation Contract and being independent at keeping property maintained to a good standard.

  • Help to prevent homelessness – home starter pack, grants, mortgage rescue and working with Shelter Cymru

  • Not a care service – Supporting People are not a care service. We do not provide support with domestic duties, such as cleaning, cooking or advocacy.

How to access the service

To access housing related support services from the Supporting People Team you will need to complete a referral form. This form is used to collect information to help us provide you with the support you need.

Please note, this form will not work from within Internet Explorer. Please use a more modern browser such as Edge, Chrome or Safari

Alternatively, you can text HOUSUPPORT to 81400 and a member of the Supporting People team will contact you.

Related council services offering support

Useful websites offering support

Related strategies

Information for providers

The following information is for service providers only.

Supported Accommodation Referral

Related pages

Managing your money