Join the library
To join the library you need to apply for a library membership card.
How to apply
You can apply for membership
Your library card gives you access to library services in the Caerphilly Borough and must be presented each time you use one of our facilities.
Your card also enables you to access our online resources. To enable this function, you will need to know your 4 digit PIN number linked to your library account. To find out more, please ask a member of staff.
Proving your identity
When applying for a library card you will need to show at least one form of identification with your name on it, such as:
- Driving licence
- Utility bill
- Benefit book
- Bank/Credit card statement
If you are under 16 your parent or carer will need to show one form of identification and sign the application form. Babies can join the library from birth - all we need is a parent or carer's proof of identity.
We will use your data to administer the library service. We are relying on the public task legal basis as outlined in Article 6(1)(e) of the UK GDPR. Your data may be shared when required to do so by law, in relation to safeguarding concerns or when dealing with antisocial behaviour. Your data will be kept until you no longer wish to use the service or we identify your library account as inactive after 5 years.
You have a number of rights in relation to the information including the right of access to information we hold about you and the right of complaint if you are unhappy with the way your information is being processed.
For further information please visit see our privacy notice.
Library Terms and Conditions
- Library membership is open to anyone who wishes to use library services.
- Library membership is free and one free library card will be issued per individual at the time of joining Caerphilly Library Service.
- Lost, stolen or damaged library cards will be replaced at a charge of £2 each.
- Applicants will need to produce a proof of ID or address when joining for full library membership.
- Applicants under 16 years of age will need their application countersigned by a parent or guardian.
- The library card is for the sole use of the cardholder and is not transferable. Please keep your library card and 4 digit PIN safe. The cardholder is responsible for any items borrowed using the card.
- The library card can only be used according to the terms and conditions laid down by Caerphilly Library Service.
- Caerphilly County Borough Council reserve the right to withdraw/amend the library card. The library card is the property of Caerphilly County Borough Council.
As a member of Caerphilly Library Service you are agreeing to the following:
- To take responsibility for your library card
- To produce the library card or library card number whenever you wish to use library services
- To return or renew items loaned to you before the due date
- To take good care of all items loaned to you
- To pay promptly any charges incurred through the use of the service
- To notify the library promptly if your library card is lost or stolen
- To give prompt notice of any change of address or other contact details
By signing and using a library card you are confirming that you have read and understood this statement and agree to abide by its terms and conditions.