Moving out of your council home

You may find that you want to move from your council home for a number of reasons. This page tells you what you need to do and how we could help you.

If your circumstances change in any way, or if you have any queries about your tenancy please contact your local housing office who can offer you help and advice.

Transferring to another council home

We have one housing register which includes council tenants, in the Caerphilly county borough, who wish to move to another property. To join the housing register you will need to complete a housing application form.

Moving because of medical problems

You may need to move to another council housing because of a medical problems that means you cannot carry on living in your current home. You will need to complete a housing application form. If you already have an active housing application, you can tell us of any change in circumstances via self-service by logging into your application at Please contact us if you do not know your login details, or if you require assistance with this service. 

Mutual exchanges

An exchange is where you swap your council home for another property. You can swap homes with another tenant of this council, a housing association tenant or a tenant of another council. You must get our written permission before you swap. For details visit our homeswapper section.

Ending your tenancy

You must remember the following

  • If you want to end your tenancy your must give at least 4 weeks notice in writing to your local housing office.
  • If you leave your home before the end of tenancy date, you will normally be charged for the rent until the 4 week period ends.
  • An inspection of your home will be arranged before you are due to leave.
  • When you leave everyone who lived in the property with you must move out and you should leave the property clean and tidy otherwise you may be charged. 
  • Your rent account must be up to date.
  • If you carried out any improvements yourself you must either leave the property as it is, or restore it to its original condition. If you wish to take out the improvement, please contact your local housing office for further advice. Some improvements such as central heating must be left in, but you may be entitled to some compensation.
  • When you leave, you must make sure that you return all of the keys for your home to your local housing office, where you will be asked to sign a key receipt and disclaimer form.
  • If you are the next of kin for the tenant you will be asked to confirm your relationship and details. 

Joint tenancies

If you have a joint tenancy with another person both of you are fully responsible for the tenancy. You are both bound by the conditions of tenancy set out in the Tenancy Agreement.

If you are joint tenants, either one of you can end the tenancy by giving the council four weeks’ notice. The council does not legally have to allow the other joint tenant(s) to stay in the home - it depends on your circumstances and whether the property could be more suitable for another type of household.

If you need more advice on ending a joint tenancy contact your local housing office.


Sometimes council tenancies can be transferred to other people if the tenant dies. This is called “the right to succession”.

Succession generally applies when the secure tenant dies and the tenancy may be transferred to:

  • the husband,wife or civil partner, providing they are living with the tenant at the time of their death; or
  • a partner or close relative, providing they have been living at the property for at least 12 months before the tenant’s death.

In some cases the property you live in may not be suitable for the needs of the surviving partner or relative. It may be adapted for a disabled person or it may be bigger than is needed. If this is the case the council will assess the situation and may offer an alternative property. The right to succession to the tenancy does not always mean that it is possible to stay in a particular property.

All cases are judged on their merits and sympathetic consideration will be given in all circumstances and you will need to contact your local housing office for further advice and guidance.


If you want to put your tenancy into someone else’s name you may only do so if that person would be entitled to take it over under the rules of succession (see above) or if an Order has been made granting the transfer of the tenancy to a person as part of court proceedings.