Apply for planning permission

Once you know what applications to make and what permissions you need, you can apply for planning approval. If you have any questions relating to how to complete your application, please contact us.

Talk to us first

We recommend that you seek pre-application advice from us before you submit a planning application. Visit our Pre-planning application guidance section for details.

Apply online

You can apply for planning permission online on the Welsh Government website.

Details of how to pay are detailed further down this page. The online process guides you through applications and provides help at each stage. You can save your application and break away at any time. When you submit your online application you will be given a reference number and we will receive an email notifying us so that we can begin to process it. 

Alternatively, you can download the standard forms from the Planning Portal and send them to us by post.

Fees and charges

The Planning Portal provide an online fee calculator that helps you work out the cost of any particular planning application, ranging from a simple householder development to large-scale proposals such as housing schemes or industrial estates.

Downloadable version of the latest fees (PDF)

How to pay

You will need to pay the required fee before we can start processing your application.

You can pay as follows:

  • By debit or cedit card over the telephone. Call 01443 866416 during office hours, Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm. 

  • Online banking. You will need the following details:

    • Our bank account number 93455750
    • Our sort code 20-10-42
    • Our account name is "Caerphilly County Borough Council"
    • Please reference your payment. We also ask that you email us at to let us know that you have made the payment.
  • In person by visiting our offices. Payments can be by cash, crossed cheque or postal order made payable to ‘Caerphilly County Borough Council’ (post dated cheques are not acceptable). 

  • By post. Payments must be by crossed cheque or postal order made payable to ‘Caerphilly County Borough Council’ (post dated cheques are not acceptable). Please send your payment to Planning, Tredomen House, Tredomen Park, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed. CF82 7WF. Please reference your payment on the back of your cheque or postal order. Please do not send cash in the post.

Other considerations

Building regulations

As well as getting planning permission you may need building control approval to ensure that the works reach certain standards and the building is safe and energy efficient. Visit our our building regulations approval section for details.

Design and access statements

Many planning applications and applications for listed building consent that have design implications including applications for new or extended buildings and infrastructure will require a Design and Access Statement (DAS). Further details are in our design and access statement section.

Is your project liable for CIL?

The Community Infrastructure Levy (called 'the levy' or 'CIL') allows local planning authorities to raise funds from developers who are undertaking new building projects in their area. The funds raised go towards infrastructure that is needed to support growth, such as schools and transport improvements.

Not all developments are liable for CIL. For further details visit our planning applications liable for CIL section.

Coal mining searches

All planning applications should be accompanied by a 'Development Stability Report' where appropriate. To find out if one is needed for your site, visit The Coal Authority website. If one is needed, advice is available on the website on how to obtain one.

Having obtained the report, you should then consider whether you need a 'Coal Mining Risk Assessment', which is the document that assesses the impact of any former mining activity on your development, and contains any appropriate mitigation measures.

We will not be able to determine your application until those matters have been properly addressed.

For advice please contact building control.

Contact us