Sex shops and cinema licence

To run a sex shop which is any premises selling sex toys, books or videos - you may need a licence. To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you also need a licence.

However, you may apply to the local authority requesting them to waive the requirement of a licence.

Eligibility criteria

An applicant:

  • must be at least 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal

Regulation summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Conditions of licence

Sex Shops and Cinema - Conditions of Licence (PDF 44kb)

Sex Shops and Cinema - Policy Guidelines (PDF 1.4mb)

Sex Shops and Cinema - Policy Guidelines Appendix 1 and 2 (PDF 1.3mb)


Click here for a full list of licence fees

Application evaluation process

Applicants must supply the following: -

  • a site plan (Scale 1:1250)
  • a plan of the premises (Scale 1:50) indicating all means of ingress and egress
  • drawings showing the front elevation of existing and proposed (Scale 1:50)

Applicants must give public notice of their application by placing a notice on the premises and by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper (see example below). A copy of the newspaper must be provided not more than 14 days from the date of application. A copy of the application must be sent to the Chief Officer of Police, Heddlu Gwent Police, 'C' Divisional Headquarters, Blackwood Road, Pontllanfraith, Blackwood NP12 2XA not later than 7 days after the date of application.

Sample Public Notice Advertisement (PDF 15kb)

Apply online

You can apply online.

Apply for a licence for a sex establishment

Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 2 months please contact us. 

Contact us