Street trading consent

If you want to sell, expose or offer for sale any article in a street then you must have a street trading licence or street trading consent.

The following activities are examples of street trading that would come within the provisions:

  • Fish and chip vans
  • Kebab and burger vans
  • Ice cream vans
  • Flower sellers
  • Advertising vehicles for sale on the side of the road

The above list may not cover the type of items you wish to sell, but it does not mean you are exempt. We recommend you contact us to discuss your plans particularly before making any significant financial commitments.

Any person convicted of trading on a consent street, without a street trading consent, will be guilty of an offence and liable upon conviction to a fine of up to £1,000.

Where you can trade and what to consider

You should contact us (licensing) to discuss whether the street you want to site your stall or van is suitable. You should also consider:

  • Location
  • Parking safety
  • Traffic management
  • The environmental impact on local residents (i.e. noise, litter and air pollution)
  • If the village needs another food outlet
  • Hours of operation
  • Frequency of trading


Click here for licence fees

How to apply

Our application pack provides the application form, consent conditions, public notice and policy.

Application for (renewal of) of street trading consent (PDF)

Notice of application for static street trading consent (PDF)

Street Trading Policy (1 May 2017) (PDF)

The application process

Before we will grant street trading consent, we will consult with the following relevant authorities and interested parties:

  • Council departments
    • Highways
    • Property Services
    • Trading Standards
    • Public Services
    • Environmental Health
    • Planning
    • Community Safety Partnership
    • Economic Development
    • Councillors of the relevant ward
  • Others
    • Heddlu Gwent Police
    • South Wales Fire and Rescue Service
    • The land owner of the proposed street trading site

For new static applications you will need to advertise details of the proposed activities in the vicinity, by posting the approved notice close to the proposed site.

The consultation process will take 2-3 weeks. If we received no objections then we will issue consent, subject to conditions and payment of the required fee.

If there are objections, we will try to resolve any problem between you the objector. If a compromise cannot be met, the application will be referred to the Licensing Sub Committee (Taxi and General) for a decision. This may take several weeks.