Pupil Development Grant (PDG) - Access 2022/2023
Get £225 (except for year 7 which is £300) to buy school uniform, equipment, sports kit and kit for activities outside of school for your child.
The scheme for the 2022/23 academic year will begin on 1 July 2022 and end on 30 June 2023.
Please note that the value of the grant has been increased by £100 as listed above for one year only (22/23) per learner eligible for free school meals. This applies to all compulsory year groups (Reception – Year 11), Looked After Children, and those who are classed as No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF).
Learners currently eligible for free school meals can apply for this grant if they are:
- entering reception, year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 in primary school in September 2022
- entering year 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 in secondary school in September 2022
- aged 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 in special schools, special needs resource bases or pupil referral units (year groups as detailed above)
- For Year 7 learners the grant is £300, recognising the increased costs associated with starting secondary school.
This funding is for pupils currently eligible for free school meals and does not extend to pupils who receive free school meals under the transitional protection or universal offer. If you have submitted an application for Free School Meals then you must await the decision before applying for the PDG Access grant.
If you believe you are eligible for Free Schools Meals and have not already submitted an application then please complete our online Free School Meal application form. You MUST await the outcome of this before applying for the PDG Access grant.
The Funding is available to ALL Children looked after (CLA), also known as Looked After Children (LAC) of compulsory school age, irrespective of FSM entitlement. In a change to last year’s application process, please note a claim will need to be submitted.
The funding can be used to purchase:
- School uniform, including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for wider activities, for example sports, scouts and guides;
- School equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hours trips such as waterproofs for outdoor learning.
- Laptops or tablets to assist with remote learning. Welsh Government advice families to contact their child’s school/setting to discuss loaning equipment before purchasing.
Mobile phones are excluded from this funding.
If you have already purchased the items, you can still apply and receive the funds retrospectively.
How to apply
This application has now closed. For the new 2023/24 scheme, please visit the School Essentials Grant page
for more information.
Further information about this funding is available on the Welsh Government website.