The new national 20mph speed limit for restricted roads will come into effect on 17 September 2023 and all Welsh local authorities are committed to delivering the transition of their speed limits.
The Welsh Government has developed ‘Exceptions Criteria’ that can be applied to retain 30mph speed limits on roads where the lower 20mph speed limit is not deemed appropriate.
This can be found on the Welsh Government website at the following web address: Setting Exceptions to the 20mph default speed limit for restricted roads. The ‘Exceptions Process’ has been developed by WG to deliver a consistent approach to 30mph exceptions needed as part of the national rollout across Wales.
Over recent months Caerphilly Council has been working with Welsh Government to develop an ‘Exceptions Map’ for the County Borough. Exceptions have been approved by Cabinet on those roads currently subject to a 30mph where the lower 20mph speed limit is not deemed appropriate.
The approved Exceptions are:
- Angel Way Link Road from Commercial Street, Aberbargoed to Morrisons traffic signals (including roundabout and A469 approach arms)
- Angel Way Link Road between Aberbargoed roundabout and Britannia roundabout (including both roundabouts)
- A4049 Pengam Road from Britannia roundabout to south of Britannia Terrace
- A4048 Hollybush
- A4048 Argoed
- A468 Newport Road, Trethomas from east of its junction with Ridgeway to a point west of the fuel station
- A468 Newport Road, Trethomas from a point approx. 60m to the western side of the junction with Clos Pantglas to the existing 30mph signs to the west of the village
- B4254 Highfields Way from the eastern side of the junction with Parc Plas to the western side of the junction with Montclaire Avenue
- B4251 High Street from the Chartist Bridge roundabout to a point north of the access road to St Margaret’s Church
- B4254 Southern Cross Valley Link (between Libanus traffic Signals and the Penmaen Road Roundabout (including the B4251 Penmaen Road approach)
- Bryn Road from a point approx. 25m north of Highfields Way roundabout to its junction with Twyn Gardens
- A4049 from south of Gellihaf Road junction to a point south of Fairview signals
- B4254 from a point approx. 100m east of the school side gate to a point approx. 25m south of Highfields Way roundabout
- B4591 Risca Road from the A467 to the junction with High Street
- B4251 Kendon Road from a point east of Ty Brachty Terrace playground to its junction with Woodview Terrace
- B4251 Kendon Road from east of Main Street junction to the A467
- A467 from the junction with Crumlin Road to a point south of the fuel station
- A472 Hafodyrynys Road from the A467 junction to a point east of the newly demolished properties
- A472 Hafodyrynys Road from west of the Swffryd junction to a point east of the former fuel station.
- Common road between the cattle grid at the northern end of Pentwyn Village to the cattle grid south of Fochriw.
- Coed-y-Brain Road from Coed-y-Brain roundabout for approx. 250metres in a northerly direction.
- A468 Newport Road and Wesley Hill, Machen from a point approximately 150m west of the Ffwrwm Road junction to the existing 30mph signs to the west of the village
- A472 from Ystrad Mynach Roundabout to east of Gellideg Heights
- A4049 from the Bryn Road Roundabout to a point east of the new housing development
- Carn-y-Tyla Terrace, Abertysswg from south-east of IDS School access road to a point west of the primary phase access road
- A469 Merchant Street between access to Capital Valley Ind Est and Heol Evan Wynne
- Fochriw Road between Brynhyfryd, Pontlottyn and Heol-y-Bryn, Fochriw
- A472 Mafon Road west of the Railway Inn PH to the Nelson roundabout
- A4049 between A469 junction and the Colliers Row junction
- A4049 White Rose Way between the junction with St David’s Park and the southern end of the village.
- Hendredenny Drive from St Cenydd Road to a point east of Chester Court
- B4591 Pontymister between the Mill Street Roundabout and the A467 Roundabout (including the A467 Roundabout)
- A469 New Road, Pengam between Angel Way traffic signals and north of the Aldi junction in Tir-y-Berth
- A469 New Road, Tir-y-Berth from south of William Street to southern end of village
- B4254 between Glyn-Gaer Road and Castle Hill, Gelligaer
- B4254 Church Road, Gelligaer and Gelligaer Road between the junction with Aneurin Bevan Avenue and west of its junction with Penywrlod
- B4254 Gelligaer Road from its junction with Llancaiach Fawr to the county boundary
- Merthyr Road between Llechryd and the Prince of Wales PH.
- B4257 High Street Rhymney between Llechryd and approx. 100m north of Ael-y-Bryn Community Centre.
- Lansbury Park Distributor Road from a point approx. 100m south-east of Bedwas Bridge Roundabout to north of the junction with Pen-y-Cae.
- Rudry Road from its junction with Lansbury Park Distributor Road to east of its junction with Rudry Close
- Van Road from the roundabout at the junction with Lansbury Park Distributor Road to its junction with Cefn Carnau Lane
- B4251 Ynysddu from the northern end of the village to the northern end of Cwmfelinfach
- B4251 Wattsville from Full Moon roundabout to the North Blackvein Ind Est entrance
- Penallta Link Road from Tredomen roundabout to north of Penallta House access road
- Northern end of Penallta Link Road and Penallta Road to Pen-y-Bryn Terrace
An interactive map has been developed by Welsh Government which brings together the Exceptions data for the 23 Highway Authorities including the Exceptions for Caerphilly County Borough Council and provides an indication of the approved plans. Please note that this interactive map is for illustrative purposes only.