Disabled bus pass

The Concessionary Travel Scheme is provided by Caerphilly County Borough Council with financial assistance from the Welsh Assembly Government. It entitles certain people with disabilities to bus pass allowing free travel on virtually all local bus services in Wales.

Who qualifies for a concessionary travel pass?

To qualify you must

  • live in the Caerphilly county borough
  • have a permanent disability that has a substantial effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities or
  • have a disability that lasts for at least 12 months

Automatic eligibility

  • You are blind or partially sighted
  • You are profoundly or severely deaf with a hearing loss of 70+ dBHL
  • You are without speech
  • You have a permanent disability, or have suffered an injury, which has substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • You have a learning disability
  • You do not have arms or have the long term loss of use of both arms
  • You have been refused a driving licence or would be unable to drive on medical grounds except on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

You will need to provide documentary evidence that you meet one or more of the above criteria.

How to apply

Application forms are available for collection at our Customer Services Centres. Alternatively call Travelinks.

Complete the form and attach a colour passport quality photograph. You will need to provide documentation support your eligibility.

You can either return the form to a Customer Services Centre or return it by post to Disabled Person's Travel Pass, Caerphilly County Borough, Ty Penallta, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed, Caerphilly CF82 7PG.

If your application is successful the pass we will send the pass to your home address.

If we need further information or you have not met the criteria, we will contact you.

Where can I use my pass?

Your bus pass is valid for free travel at all times, everyday on most local bus services anywhere in Wales. You may use your pass on buses that operate over the border into England providing no change of bus is required. 

It is not valid for travel on sightseeing buses or coach services eg. National Express, megabus.com, Greyhound.

Your pass cannot be used for travel on buses solely in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

What about trains?

Your bus pass entitles you to 34% off local fares on the Transport for Wales Cardiff and Valleys network for travel any time on or after 9.30am Monday to Friday and any time Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays. For reduced travel beyond the Valley Lines Network you will need a Disabled Persons Railcard.

Lost or damage passes

If you need a replacement pass, please contact Travelinks. There is a charge of £10 for the replacement. Once a replacement pass is issued, the previous pass is 'hot-listed' and will not be accepted for travel.

Moving address or change of details

If you move address (within the Caerphilly county borough) or change any of your personal details please notify Travelinks so we can up date your records. If you move outside the Caerphilly county borough you will need to notify Travelinks so we can remove you from our database and advise you how to transfer your details to your new local authority.

Companion bus pass

Some people are unable to travel alone. In some circumstances, we can issue a pass that allows a companion to travel free of charge.

You may be eligible for a companion pass if you have one or more of the following:

  • you have a severe learning disability (Legislation defines this as "a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which included significant impairment of intelligence or social functioning".)
  • you have a combination of visual and hearing loss
  • you have challenging behaviour and would need to be supervised
  • you have no awareness of risk
  • you have difficulty using a wheelchair independently

To apply for a companion pass please contact Passenger Transport.

Contact us