The Charitable purposes for which the Fund MAY be applied
The Advancement of Education
The provision of benefits which are not readily available from other sources for persons of any age in one or more of the following ways:
- The award of scholarships, bursaries, loans or maintenance allowances to enable or to assist study at any school, university or other place of learning, approved by the Council, which may if the Council think fit include allowances to dependents.
- The provision of financial assistance, outfits, clothing, tools, instruments, other equipment, or books or loans to enable pupils or students on leaving school, university or any other educational establishment to prepare for, or to assist their entry into a profession, trade on calling.
- The award of scholarships or maintenance allowances or loans to enable beneficiaries to travel abroad to pursue their education.
- The provision, or assistance towards the provision of facilities of any kind not normally provided by a local education authority, or a grant maintained school, for recreation, social and physical training at a school, university or other educational establishment.
- The provision of financial assistance to enable beneficiaries to undertake apprenticeships.
Libraries, museums, art galleries etc.
The advancement of knowledge and appreciation of the arts and literature of Wales and, in particular, in furtherance of those purposes but without prejudice to the generality thereof:
- The establishment, maintenance, replenishment or aiding of charitable institutions, libraries, museums, art galleries; or art, scientific or industrial exhibitions (including exhibitions relating to industrial archaeology); whether national or local, for the principal use and benefit of the Welsh people.
- The assistance of charitable societies for study and research in subjects connected with Welsh history, topography, literature and life.
- The provision of lectures, exhibitions and equipment.
- The acquisition, preservation and publication of records and documents.
- The provision of suitable premises (by erection, purchase, lease or hiring for occasional use) for any of the purposes authorised by this paragraph.
The Relief of Poverty
Relief in need
The relief either generally or individually of persons who are in conditions of need, hardship or distress by the making of grants of money or the provision of, or payment for, items, services or facilities calculated to reduce the need, hardship or distress of such persons.
The Advancement of Religion
Places of worship and burial grounds
The contribution towards the restoration and maintenance of any place of public worship or any burial ground.
Other Purposes Beneficial to the Community
Relief in sickness
The relief in cases of need of persons who are sick, convalescent, disabled, handicapped or infirm by the provision of, or payment for, items, services or facilities which are calculated to alleviate the suffering or assist the recovery of such persons, but which are not readily available to them from other sources.
The provision, or assisting in the provision of accommodation for elderly persons who by reason of the infirmities and disabilities of age have need of such reception, care and attention. The provision of funds to organisations promoting the welfare of elderly persons.
Social and recreational
The provision of, or assisting in the provision of, facilities for recreation or other leisure time occupation being facilities which are available to the members of the public at large and which are provided in the interests of social welfare with a view to improving the conditions of life of the persons for whom they are intended and, in particular, in furtherance of those purposes but without prejudice to the generality thereof, the provision of, or assisting in the provision of, playing fields, other sporting facilities, parks, open spaces and centres or halls for meetings, lectures or classes.
Sub-paragraph (1) is intended, in particular, to be concerned with the provision of, or assisting in the provision of, facilities etc. to persons in need by reason of their youth, old age, infirmity or disablement, poverty or social and economic circumstances.
Aesthetic, architectural, historical and scientific matters
The advancement of the education and public benefit of the Welsh people by promoting their interest is aesthetic, architectural, historical or scientific matters relating to Wales and in particular in furtherance of those matters but without prejudice to the generality thereof:
The acquisition and preservation of –
- Land of special interest in relation to science and natural history.
- Land, buildings or objects of beauty or of historic or architectural interest.
The acquisition, preservation and publication of records and documents of historic interest.
Medical and social research, treatment etc.
The preservation and protection of the physical and mental health of society and, in particular, in furtherance of those purposes but without prejudice to the generality thereof:
- The advancement of education in the theory and practice of medicine.
- The promotion of medical and social research and schemes for the prevention and treatment of disease and publishing the results of such research.
- The provision of nursery and convalescent homes and hostels.
Making grants in cases of need for the assistance of:
- Persons placed on probation, or children and young persons from community homes or any other institution of a substantially similar nature established under statutory authority.
- The families of any such persons, children or young persons.
- Discharged prisoners.
People who are Blind or Visually Impaired
Provision for the welfare of persons who are blind or visually impaired, including the provision of charitable homes and holiday homes.
Emergencies or disasters
The contribution towards the alleviation of the effects of emergencies or disasters involving destruction of or danger to life, and property and directly assisting persons in need as a result of such emergencies and disasters.
Other charitable organisations
Contributions towards charitable organisations, the purposes of which are consistent with the provisions of this Scheme or the Welsh Church Acts 1914 to 1945.