HRCs Frequently Asked Questions


There is no restriction on cars used as taxis providing. But, they must be disposing of their own household waste.

Taxi vehicles with 8 seats will need a permit for the disposal of their household waste. These permits are free of charge with an entitlement of six per year.

Minibuses are not allowed on site.

Commercial waste

Commercial waste is not accepted at any of our recycling centres.

Visit our commercial waste page  for more information on how to dispose of your waste.

Recycling Centre Permits (HRCs)

Will I need a permit?

You may need a permit depending on the type of vehicle you are driving.

You will not need a permit if you are driving:

  • a car
  • estate car
  • enclosed 4x4 (where the boot and seating are enclosed within the same frame and rear seats are in place)

All visits will be free of charge and there are no restrictions on the number of times you can visit.


You will need a permit if you own:

  • A van (3,499kg and below)
  • multipurpose vehicle (MPV)
  • campervan
  • vehicle with more than five seats.

Cars towing a trailer will need 1 permit and vans towing a trailer will need 2 permits.

You can’t enter site if you have:

  • A vehicle that is 3,500kg and over or
  • a trailer greater than 1.8 metres in length.

Examples pictured below for ease of understanding.Vans, MPV and Campervan

What type of permit do I need?

There are 3 types of permits depending on the type of waste you wish to dispose of:

Househ​old Waste

This type of waste is from a resident’s house or garden. Examples include, furniture, carpets, garden waste and general waste).

Waste will not be accepted as household waste if it comes from:

  • construction
  • demolition
  • repairs
  • alterations to a property.

These permits are free of charge but limited to 6 per year.

Construction and Demolition Waste

This is waste produced by:

  • construction
  • renovations 
  • demolition of a building and its contents.

Examples include but not limited to:

  • bricks,
  • blocks,
  • rubble,
  • soil,
  • stones,
  • windows,
  • doors,
  • bathroom suites,
  • kitchen units etc.

These permits are chargeable. For information on prices, please visit Permits for Household Recycling Centres.

These permits are unlimited.

Hazardous Waste

Is defined as waste that poses threats to public health or the environment.

Examples include but not limited to:

  • car tyres,
  • tins of paint,
  • gas bottles,
  • plasterboard
  • asbestos* (*must be double bagged / wrapped in 1000-gauge polythene).

There are limits to the amount of hazardous waste that can be disposed of. Not all sites accept hazardous waste.

These permits are chargeable. For information on prices, please visit Permits for Household Recycling Centres.

These permits are unlimited.

How do I get a permit?

You can request a permit online. Or please call 01433 866533.

Applications for permits can also be made in person at Ty Penallta by booking an appointment. You can make an appointment by calling 01443 866533 or emailing

You will not be able to attend Ty Penallta without an appointment and only card payments are accepted if a charge applies. 

To get a permit, you will need to provide:

  • Proof of residency (for example, utility bill, TV licence, council tax bill or DWP letter.
  • The Vehicle Registration Document (V5).

If you intend to borrow a van to dispose of household waste, you must:

  • provide the V5 document
  • proof of residency
  • contact details of the registered keeper
  • and a letter of authorisation from the registered keeper of the van.

If you are using a hired vehicle, you must also provide the hire agreement when requesting a permit.

Sign written commercial vehicles are not allowed on any of our sites.

Can I use a permit at any time?

There are designated days and time slots to visit our sites in vans or trailers as shown below. You will be asked your preference when obtaining the permit.

  • Rhymney - Monday 2pm to 4pm and Thursday 10am to 12noon
  • Aberbargoed - Wednesday 2pm to 4pm and Friday 10am to 12noon
  • Penallta - Tuesday 2pm to 4pm and Saturday 10am to 12noon
  • Penmaen - Wednesday 10am to 12noon and Thursday 2pm to 4pm
  • Trehir - Tuesday 10am to 12noon and Friday 2pm to 4pm
  • Full Moon (Crosskeys) – Monday 10am to 12noon and Saturday 2pm to 4pm

Permits must be used at the selected site on the date and time stated on the permit.

If you attend at any other time, date or site or your permit has expired, you will be refused entry. If you need to change any of these details, you must contact first for approval.

Proof of residency rules (HRCs)

What does this all mean?

Residents will need to show proof of residency to be able to access the recycling centres.

When does it come into force?

This has been operational since Monday 1 April 2019.

What is the purpose of these checks?

To control the amount of traffic coming to our 6 sites from people living outside of the borough. This misuse has resulted in the Council having to pay large sums of money in extra disposal charges. This has also caused congestion from people travelling to us from outside our area.

What form of ID will be accepted?

You will need to present one of the following forms of ID each time you visit one of our sites:

  • A photo card drivers licence. This document specifies an address and so makes it an easy and way of checking residency.
  • Old style paper driving licence. This needs to be accompanied by your most recent council tax bill and passport
  •  If you do not have a driving licence you may present a bus pass with a recent council tax bill.

Will I be allowed to use the sites if my ID has an old address outside of the borough?

No. Unfortunately you must have a valid ID that shows that you currently live within the borough. It is also a legal need to ensure your address is up to date on your licence.

Will I be able to use the sites using an expired driving licence?

No. Unfortunately the ID has to be valid to dispose of waste at our recycling centres.

When I show my drivers licence, will my details be recorded and stored?

No. Your details will not be recorded or stored when you present your ID. We only request a visual inspection of your driver’s licence.

My ID is old, and the address isn’t visible, can I still use the sites?

No. Unfortunately, the address and photo must be visible.

I only have the paper counterpart to my licence, can I use the sites?

The paper counterpart to a driving license has had no legal status since 8 June 2015. But paper driving licenses issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. If this is the case, you will also need to bring a council tax bill along with the paper license plus your passport.

What if I am not a resident but need to dispose of waste on behalf of a relative who lives in the area but doesn’t drive? Or for an elderly/disabled resident?

You will be refused entry and asked to put your request in writing to us.

You will need to provide the following for the person whose waste you are carrying:

  • name
  • address
  • vehicle registration number
  • most recent council tax bill

What if my licence has been sent off to the DVLA / Police?

You may use the site if you have a letter from the DVLA / Police to show they have requested your licence. Please go with a copy of your most recent council tax bill to.

What will happen if I am refused entry and leave waste outside the site?

This action is illegal. All our sites have CCTV and are under surveillance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Anyone caught tipping will be liable to a £400 fixed penalty fine.

Will I be able to dispose waste if I live in the borough, but the waste is from a nursing home / other business?

Our sites only accept household waste. Waste from a business or a company comes under commercial waste, which is prohibited on our sites. We offer a weekly commercial waste collection service. Visit our commercial waste section for details.

Is this the only council that asks for proof of residency at recycling centres?

No. Proof of residency is commonplace at local authority recycling centres across the country. Many of our neighbouring councils have a similar rule.