Frequently Asked Questions Using vans and trailers at our Household Waste Recycling Centres

Q1. Will I need a permit?

You may need a permit depending on the type of vehicle you are driving.

If you are driving a car, estate car or an enclosed 4x4 (where the boot and seating are enclosed within the same frame, see picture below) you will not need a permit. All visits will remain free of charge and there are presently no restrictions on the number of times you can visit.


You will be required to obtain a permit if you own:

  • A van (3,499kg and below)
  • multipurpose vehicle (MPV)
  • campervan
  • vehicle with more than five seats.

Cars towing a trailer will need 1 permit and vans towing a trailer will need 2 permits.

Any vehicle that is 3,500kg and over or a trailer greater than 1.8 metres in length will no longer be able to access the sites.

Vans, MPV and Campervan

Q2. What type of permit do I need?

There are 3 types of permits depending on the type of waste you wish to dispose of:

Household waste

Is defined as waste from the resident’s household and garden that has not come from any construction, demolition, repairs or alteration to a household (e.g. furniture, carpets, garden waste, normal refuse). These permits are free of charge, however, will be limited to 6 per year.

Construction and Demolition waste

Is defined as waste material produced in the process of construction, renovation or demolition of a building and its contents. Examples include bricks/blocks, rubble, soil, stones, windows, doors, bathroom suites, kitchen units etc. These permits are chargeable and prices can be found on Permits for Household Waste Recycling Centres. These permits are unlimited.

Hazardous waste

Is defined as waste that poses substantial or potential threats to public health or the environment. There are limits to the amount of hazardous waste that can be disposed at sites and not all sites accept hazardous waste. Examples include car tyres, tins of paint, gas bottles, plasterboard and asbestos* (*must be double bagged / wrapped in 1000-gauge polythene).

These permits are chargeable These permits are chargeable and prices can be found on Permits for Household Waste Recycling Centres. These permits are unlimited.

This list is not exhaustive.

Q3. How do I get a permit?

Applications for permits can be made in person at Ty Penallta by booking an appointment. You can make an appointment by calling 01443 866533 or emailing

Additionally, you can request a permit online.

You will not be able to attend Ty Penallta without an appointment and only card payments are accepted if a charge applies.

To obtain a permit, you will need to provide both:

  • Proof of residency (utility bill including water, gas and electricity or a TV licence, council tax bill or DWP letter (Department of Work and Pensions).
  • The Vehicle Registration Document (V5).

If you intend to borrow a van to dispose of household waste, you must:

  • provide the V5 document
  • proof of residency
  • contact details of the registered keeper
  • and a letter of authorisation from the registered keeper of the van.
  • If you are using a hired vehicle, you must also provide the hire agreement when requesting a permit.

Sign written commercial vehicles are not permitted on any of our sites.

Q4. Can I use a permit at any time?

There are designated days and time slots to visit our sites in vans or trailers as shown below. You will be asked your preference when obtaining the permit.

  • Rhymney - Monday 2pm to 4pm and Thursday 10am to 12noon
  • Aberbargoed - Wednesday 2pm to 4pm and Friday 10am to 12noon
  • Penallta - Tuesday 2pm to 4pm and Saturday 10am to 12noon
  • Penmaen - Wednesday 10am to 12noon and Thursday 2pm to 4pm
  • Trehir - Tuesday 10am to 12noon and Friday 2pm to 4pm
  • Full Moon (Crosskeys) – Monday 10am to 12noon and Saturday 2pm to 4pm

Permits must be used at the selected site on the date and time stated on the permit.

If you attend at any other time, date or site or your permit has expired, you will be refused entry. If you need to change any of these details, you must contact first for approval.