Loops & Links info
Loops and Links aims to promote healthy living and to increase accessibility into the villages and local attractions by creating loops and links off the main NCN Route 47.
The three key objectives for the project are
- Develop the economic prosperity of villages located along the National Cycle Route through the creation and safeguarding of retail, service sector and hospitality related businesses.
- Enhance the relationship between tourism facilities and local villages by developing the cycle route as a link to help aid the vitality of village centres.
- Develop the tourism draw of the area to attract investment and increase consumer spending.
There are also a number of plans to enhance the cycle route within Caerphilly County Borough. These include
- The introduction of information boards and signposting in village centres. This will reflect the rural setting and history of the local area providing basic information on village amenities and also directional signage to the National Cycle Route.
- Environmental improvements to the entrances to village centres. It is fundamental that these approaches are made attractive and welcoming to visitors improving the sense of vitality in the villages.
- To promote the cycle way between the various tourist attractions to encourage local people to use the cycle route for leisure and health pursuits. This will also promote the route as an alternative means of transport between communities, thereby supporting sustainable transport.
Download the leaflets in PDF format. (Each file is 1.6Mbytes)
Nelson / Ystrad Mynach / Maesycwmmer / Gelli-groes / Wyllie / Ynysddu / Cwmfelin-fach / Wattsville / Crosskeys / Risca
If required, download the Adobe Acrobat Reader here
The route will become more informative with users having knowledge of their location, distance to other villages, attractions along the route, facilities in nearby settlements and how best to access the cycle route.
Groundwork Caerphilly identified potential links from the cycle route into the villages, places of interest and tourist attractions in Caerphilly County Borough. Additionally, a number of circular loops have been identified to encourage cyclists back onto the national cycle route.